As summer approaches, the outdoors beckon with images of casual entertaining in the open air and afternoons spent by the pool or gathered around the grill.
At this time of year, buyers shopping for a new home will shift their attention to outdoor living spaces.
If you are hoping to sell your home this summer, consider the following popular design trends in order to boost the allure of your backyard oasis:
- Low-maintenance, drought-resistant landscaping: with several Western states facing a serious drought, homeowners across the country are trending towards sustainable plants that are native to the region. Many are even replacing grass with artificial turf, the pinnacle of low-maintenance landscaping. These options are a win-win situation for the environment as well as your budget.
- In keeping with the sustainability trend, homegrown edibles, including fruits, vegetables, and herbs, are increasing in popularity. If your yard is tight on space, consider planting some micro-greens: they are packed with nutrients and may be grown in very small containers, making them a favorite choice of apartment or condo dwellers.
- Bring the indoors out. Homeowners have long sought to bring the outdoors in by incorporating elements of nature into their interior designs, but recent trends have focused on carrying the comforts of the home to the backyard. Outdoor living spaces on the more luxurious end of the spectrum may include full kitchens and alfresco dining rooms, while a humbler makeover may be achieved by adding durable, weather resistant furniture. Homeowners are increasingly viewing their yards as ideal spots for year-round entertaining, and patio heaters and cooling systems are easy ways to extend the outdoor living season. Large windows and glass doors leading from the home to the yard are also popular to create a seamless transition between indoor and outdoor living spaces.
- Fire pits and fireplaces are hot. Available in a vast range of styles and at price points to suit every budget, fire pits or fireplaces provide warmth in cooler months and a cozy centerpiece around which family and friends may gather.
- Celebrate a contrasting element with the addition of water features. Ranging from simple, inexpensive fountains that may be purchased at most hardware stores to more elaborate waterfalls and ponds, water features create a sense of tranquility, instantly transforming the yard into a Zen oasis.
- Add a splash of color. Pantone color of the year for 2015 is Marsala, a red brown shade that serves as an attractive complement to other earth tones. Incorporating Marsala via accessories like pillows or cushions adds a rich, warm hue to outdoor spaces. Black backdrops are also popular this year. Consider painting one wall or fence black to create an appealing contrast to colorful landscaping or wooden furniture.
Summer is the ideal season to entice potential buyers with a backyard retreat that effectively blends beauty and functionality. Fortunately, you do not need an expansive yard or budget: adding some touches of the latest trends can help you create a stylish outdoor space to enjoy with friends and family.
Want to learn more information on trendy household ideas? Feel free to contact me, your trusted local real estate professional by phone at (905)940-3599 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org today.