Buying a home involves many nuances: kitchen size, bedroom count, backyard space, etc … One factor that can trump even the most perfect home is the neighborhood.
Finding the right combination of home and neighborhood hospitality that fits your unique needs can be difficult if you’re not entirely sure what you want, or if you’re new to town.
It’s critical to do your research before deciding to buy, and often your REALTOR® can help you find the neighborhood that’s right for your lifestyle and that fits your budget.
Here are a few ways to get started:
- Jot down a list of your daily activities. For example, you might write down work, church, coffee, grocery stores or the dry cleaners. How far would you have to travel to each destination from your home? Do you mind the commute? As you begin to look at neighborhoods, keep the location of these frequent errands in mind.
- Research the school district. The school or the city’s education department should be able to provide you with class size, test scores, special enrichment programs, extracurricular activities and the percentage of students that go on to college. No kids yet? It’s still a good idea to consider school districts. When the time comes to sell your home, schools could be an important to factor to potential buyers.
- Economic Stability. Is the neighborhood new or old? Are home prices rising, falling or are they stable? Check for vacant homes and apartment complexes as these could potentially affect the value of homes in your area. Remember, your REALTOR® is a good source for this kind of information.
- Check crime. You’ll want to be sure crime levels aren’t high in your new neighborhood. Check with the local police department for crime rates. Be sure to ask about regular criminal activity. If burglaries are high on the list – you might consider looking elsewhere.
- Take a tour. The best way to get to know a potential neighborhood is to walk or drive around. Talk with people at local businesses or ask folks in the neighborhood. Test out local restaurants and get to know the environment.
Want to find the right home? Talk to me, your trusted local real estate professional, by phone at (905)940-3599 or by email at email@example.com today!