Preparing your home and property for cold weather conditions and responding to them effectively can reduce some of the effects caused by winter’s weather challenges.
Experts agree that the following measures can be effective in dealing with the effects of severe winter weather:
- Have your snow removal equipment serviced and ready for action.
- Have rock salt on hand to melt ice on walkways.
- Make sure your walls and attic are properly insulated.
- Caulk and weather strip doors and windows.
- Install storm windows or cover windows with plastic from the inside.
- Have an ample supply of wood if you have a fireplace.
- Have safe portable space heaters available.
- Wrap water pipes in insulation or layers of old newspapers to keep from freezing.
- Let faucets drip a little to avoid freezing.
- Know how to shut off water valves.
- In case the power goes out, have disaster supplies on hand such as a flashlight & battery operated radio (and extra batteries), a first aid kit and extra blankets & sleeping bags.
- Develop an emergency communication plan in case family members are separated from one another during a winter storm.
- Teach children how and when to call 911, police, or fire department, and which radio station to tune to for emergency information.
WINTERIZING YOUR VEHICLE
Preparing your vehicle for the winter season is one of the most important keys to safe winter driving. Have a mechanic check the following items on your car before the temperatures drop.
- Battery Antifreeze
- Ignition system Thermostat
- Lights Flashing hazard lights
- Exhaust system Heater
- Brakes Defroster
- Oil level Tires/tread
- Wipers and windshield washer fluid
Also, be sure to keep a windshield scraper and small broom for ice and snow removal, and maintain at least a half tank of gas at all times during the winter season.
Follow the steps above and Ol’ Man Winter will be just a little more bearable. For more information, feel free to give me, your trusted local real estate professional, a call at (905)940-3599 or email me at email@example.com today.