Protect Your College Student’s Possessions

Asian beautiful female student study in library with laptop

If you have a son or daughter in college, you probably sent them with most of their possessions, including expensive laptops and other electronics. So what happens if their dorm room is robbed? Are they covered? What about off-campus? Learn more about the issue here…

If you have a son or daughter heading off to college this fall, you’ve probably sent them along with most of their most prized possessions. Laptop, stereo, smartphone, mountain bike… it all adds up to several thousands of dollars of personal gear.

So what happens if they get robbed? Will you be stuck for the replacement costs, or are they covered on your homeowner’s insurance policy?

Believe it or not, the insurance policy on your home might just cover what your kid takes to school. But there’s a catch: Many policies only cover the student if they live in a dorm on campus. If they’re in an apartment or house on their own, you might not be covered.

One alternative to covering your student’s possessions while they’re away at school is renter’s insurance. Renter’s insurance is a very affordable way to make sure you’re not out thousands if there’s a break-in. For as little as $15 – $20 a month you can have a bit of piece of mind you won’t find yourself in the Apple store again plunking down for a new Macbook Air.

A few notes:

1. Your student won’t be covered by their roommate’s policy. Policies are specific about covering a single policy holder.

2. A renter’s policy can also include liability coverage, much like your homeowner’s insurance.

3. Taking inventory of possessions and keeping detailed records (with photos and serial numbers) is essential. It provides helpful evidence of ownership in the case of a claim.

You’ll want to talk to your insurance agent about your specific situation, needs, and your policy. Don’t overlook this opportunity to protect your student and your wallet.

Need a referral to an insurance agent? Contact me, your trusted local real estate professional, and I can help recommend a few I know and trust. Call me at (905)940-3599 or email me at today.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s